sexta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2008

Ruby roadmap

I am new at Ruby development and I AM not sure that it could solve the Global Warning problems, but it could be a nice to tool to have in your pocket.

For example, yesterday I needed to extract some data from a bulk of files, so I created a one shoot script that help me a lot.

 

I will not post here the script that I created, it will not help anyone but I will write down a Ruby roadmap, if you are a beginner it could help. First of all we need to understand that Ruby is just a language, it is not related to web stuffs or things like that; but now you come as say: “But my little friend said that Ruby is a boost for web application, you are a liar, your… your.. fool!”

Take easy little boy, I will explain it  to you: the magical word for web is Ruby on Rails. But what is it? Rails is the underline framework for Ruby that makes web development easier, because of the conventions that it is based on.

 

First step you should go to the  website: Ruby on Rails, go directly to the Get Started. There you will be able to download the Ruby and get the instructions to install the Rails, I recommend that you install both (it doesn’t matter if you are going to do scripts or web development).

Once you get your environment running make the first application (suggested at the Get Started), after that you should make a difficult decision: learn the language or keep running in a nice tutorial. I am for make a nice tutorial, but I will let you choose:

·         Learn language: This is the most crazy book for programming language that I have seen so far, but it worth a look: why's (poignant) guide to Ruby. It will give you a nice overview of the Ruby language, there isn’t any web reference here.

·         Tutorial: there is plenty tutorials about Ruby on Rails in the internet, but I suggest these: Getting Started With Rails, Tutorial Step One (wiki). The last one is more direct, although the text is a little bit confusing.

I think that it is a little bit amount of data to start with Ruby. Just move yourself little boy and start learning it, next I am going to post a Ruby script to create fixed file size for testing.

Nenhum comentário: